History of the Treasury Historical Association
On October 18, 1972, the Treasury Department was honored by the US Interior Department with the entry of the Treasury Building onto the Register of Historic Places that is maintained by the Secretary of the Interior. The building was so honored due to the significant activities that had occurred in the building since its 1842 initial occupancy. Also, important was its Greek revival architectural style and its famous architects, and the impact this majestic building and these great designers had on other Federal buildings’ architectural style throughout the nation.
Over the next year following the Treasury Building’s designation as a National Historic Landmark, three senior executives of the Department developed a plan to create a non-profit organization to assist Treasury in historic preservation, collections of historical value, and education. In their private capacities, these three men chartered the Treasury Historical Association, with the date of creation being the birthday of the then-current Secretary, George P. Shultz. At the charter-signing ceremony, most of the senior officials of the Department attended, with the special guest being Helen Hamilton Burgess, the great-great-granddaughter of the first Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton.
Articles of Incorporation for the new organization were filed with the Government of the District of Columbia within 30 days. The Association also filed its application to be categorized under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3), and that approval was received six months later. Thus, contributions to THA would be tax deductible, to the extent permitted by law.