incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia. Established
in 1973, THA is categorized under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal
Revenue Code, and membership donations and other contributions are
deductible for Federal income tax purposes to the extent permitted
by law. THA is dedicated to education on and commemoration of the
history of the U.S. Department of the Treasury, including its constituent
bureaus, and to the preservation of Treasury historic properties,
especially the Treasury Building next to the White House.
Treasury Building, constructed between 1836 and 1869, is one of
the country's finest examples of Greek Revival architecture. It
served as the temporary White House for President Andrew Johnson
and its splendid Cash Room was the site of President Ulysses S.
Grant's Inaugural Reception.
has provided the Department of the Treasury with a number of significant
gifts to assist in the restoration of the Treasury Building. The
most significant of these gifts was a check for $200,000 to fund
the restoration of the gilding in the ceilings of the Cash Room
and North Wing domes.